Thursday, February 09, 2006

Does yarn have a direction?

I know yarn can be twisted either clockwise or counterclockwise. But I'm talking about whether you pull from the inside or outside of a skein. I've heard various people cite various online sources about there being a direction to yarn... that the twist of the yarn requires you to work with it from one end and not the other... that working from the wrong end both feels rougher and causes the yarn to untwist and therefore split easier...Does this make sense to anyone out there? Is this fact or fiction? If it's fact how does one determine the right direction?
Why do I ask? Because my Crochet Olympic project is using Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece. I've never used this yarn before... many recommended it... it feels wonderful. I just did my swatch and hit the gauge dead on, both stitch and row count are perfect with the first size hook I chose (Addi 3.5mm E hook). On one hand I'm psyched. On the other, I'm not so psyched. The yarn was unraveling as I crocheted, so while I liked the overall look of the swatch, upon closer inspection I didn't like the way some stitches had nice twisted yarn and some had unraveled plies...
so... I'm perplexed! Any thoughts?

3 comments:

jeannie said...

Hmmm, are you pulling from the inside of the skein (sp?) or the outside? Try another skein and pull from the other end and do a swatch. Does that make sense? At least, try it. My crocheting often unwinds my yarn too. I find it depends on which end I pull. I'm also left handed so I have to compensate some.
My 2 cents for what it's worth : ).

Norah said...

When I use that yarn, I usually pull from the inside, and don't have that problem too much, although it isn't a really tightly woven yarn. I'm right handed (not sure if you are right-or-left-handed or if that makes a difference...)

Anonymous said...

I've noticed that too. That's why you should always check the wrapper for where to pull.