Friday, March 10, 2006

March challenge & CAL update

So over at crochet challenge (formerly crochet olympics) I originally listed the well traveled bag and finishing the 3 different sock WIPS as my March challenge. The bag is done and progress is being made on the socks. I finished the south bay pair from the crochet-a-long gang, and couple of nights ago I finished the first sock for the sock-a-long at crochetsocks...ta da. It's made with Paton's KroySocks 'Vista Sea', using an Addi 3.5mm E hook. I made 15 sc cuff, but then I added 10 rows of sc before working the heel. I really should work on finishing up this 2nd sock since I am sorting helping out list Mom/moderator Denise for a bit. Of course I still have to do the 2nd Classic Ribbed Cable sock. I will not fall to 2nd sock syndrome. I love to wear them too much!

Speaking of socks.... anyone following my blog comments knows there's a certain loving dh out there waiting for his socks. I think I'll be making him a pair from the Crocheted Socks! book - "Oxford Style", Using Patons KroySocks 'Windsor Tweed' with the darker charcoal yarn from Silja for the contrasting heel & toe.

In the meantime, it's time for a new garment project with the gang at Yahoo crochet-a-long. It was a close vote among the 2 sweaters I suggested (and couldn't decide between myself) and a Drops Design summer top (which I will be doing after the sweaters). Yes I said sweaters! With such a close vote I think we'll end up doing the 3 items. The poll was to close on Wednesday, and when I last looked early Wednesday evening, the Spring Cardigan was winning by one vote. So I crawled into bed with my yarn - Knit Picks Wool of the Andes 'Mulled Wine' - and started on a swatch (lower one in photo). I had to go up to an I hook (from an H) to get 13 st in 4 inches. But then, in pattern (alternating rows dc, sc), I was almost at 4 inches by the start of the row 9 instead of 11. I also wasn't sure if I like this yarn for this pattern stitch...so,I went to sleep! Well, by the time I checked the board on Thursday, the poll was officially closed and Kim Guzman's Jiffy Jacket-Cardigan had won by one vote! So back to the swatch. This time with the recommended hook (H) it looks like I'm right on gauge with 8 clusters to 5 inches. The pattern says 16 rows=5 inches. I've done 8 rows in this swatch and I'm at 2.5 inches. Yay!! I'm glad we're doing this pattern (even though I voted to do the other more fitted cardigan), because I really wanted to use this yarn and I think I like this stitch pattern better for this yarn. Maybe I'll find something lighter in color and more spring-like for the 'Spring cardigan'. Life is calling, got to run!

3 comments:

Norah said...

That sock is sooo beautiful. I love to read your blog--you always make such cool things.

Wanda said...

Love your sock(s)! That is pretty yarn on the newest one. The crochet-a-long sweater sounds intriguing too....

Anonymous said...

I am just amazed at your work! Love the bag, I just made my first handbags recently. I will have to visit often to see what neat things you are up to!