Saturday, March 11, 2006

Stash diving for Jiffy cardigan yarn

AGH!!!!!!!!!! that was the sound of me screaming! After my blog post yesterday deciding how much more I liked the 'Mulled Wine' wool yarn in the Jiffy stitch pattern .... I don't have enough. I bought the yarn for the Spring cardigan which uses about 1250 yds for a medium (I have about 1600 yds). The Jiffy cardigan needs almost double that at 2430 yds for a medium. I guess it makes sense that the Jiffy uses so much more (I just wasn't thinking). The Spring Cardigan is a more fitted sweater, shorter in length and uses alternating rows of dc & sc as opposed to clusters of (sc, ch2, sc) in the longer, boxier Jiffy cardigan. Clearly my brain was on vacation.

So I raided the stash last night searching for large quantities. I came up with 2 options (well really 3 but I quickly decided not to steal the wool bought for dh's sweater - it's bad enough that I haven't made his socks!). First I found some Red Heart SS in Aran (10 - 8 oz skeins) - destined for a family room afghan, but put into stash after I decided the original pattern was too airy - still searching for another pattern. Second I have 12 skeins (7 oz) of Simply Soft in Dark Sage - this was purchased on a bulk sale with thoughts of a sweater for me. But in the package with indoor lighting the color just didn't wow me (it seemed almost a little too olive-y green) so into stash with plans to become a sweater for my son for next year. Anyway, I grabbed both and I swatched...again. I think I've been spoiled by a lot of "good" yarn lately. I'm sure the RH Aran will make a great afghan and will soften with washing, but it felt like sandpaper last night. I used an H hook like I had with the KnitPicks wool and the Aran swatch was stiff and too big. It would have been even stiffer if I had gone down a hook size. The Simply Soft was so soft and right on gauge (I know I didn't do too many rows, but row for row it lines right up with the earlier wool swatch). I went to sleep last night still not sure what to do.... I'm not going to make myself a sweater in a color I don't like!!

Well, in the light of day (literally!), I've decided I love the dark sage after all. And, there should be enough of it to still make my son a sweater as well!

4 comments:

Norma said...

The dark sage swatch looks pretty! I know the color might not be the same in the photo as in person, but I think it's nice. Good luck with the project!

Norah said...

Woohoo! The sage is beautiful. That stitch pattern is nice too. Good luck!

sara said...

this made me hit my stash again for one wayward skein of simple soft tractor ghan pink........still not to be found.......but i did find this bag of navy and red cotton that is just screaming to be made into a little girl dress for easter..........see what you made me do?????

Robert said...

I really like the sage color but boy, are my feet cold !