Monday, April 10, 2006

One-armed Jiffy...

I guess I'm making some progress of the Jiffy Jacket, somehow it just seems so slow to me - probably because I'm not staying up to the wee hours (and I'm not shoving life to the back burner) like I did with my Olympic sweater. Anyway, the back, front & one arm of the Jiffy are finished. I'm using Caron Simply Soft - which in my hand crochets more like a light worsted weight so I have to pay attention to gauge. I went up a hook size to get gauge and switched to an inline hook to deal with splitting, ending up with my Brittany 5.5mm I hook. Even still my row gauge was a little off, so I added a few rows in the main body of the sweater. (I'm doing medium which calls for 40 rows before the arm hole shaping. I did 44. I did the armhole shaping and top as written, and I match Kim's measurements). I'm a little concerned that the tapering on the sleeve might be too tight - I compared it to my Drops Design sweater tonight... if I'd done that earlier, I would have increased the number of rows between the decreases from 8 to 9, but alas hindsight is always 20-20 as they say... I almost frogged it back to around the elbow to spread out the decreases, but I decided it would be OK. The Drops sweater has very little give since it's cotton - the Jiffy in acrylic should be a little more forgiving and we're only talking about 1/4 inch difference. I did change the sleeve at the end. Before the last decrease I did 12 rows instead of 8, then did the last decrease and another 8 rows. So I end up with 79 rows instead of the 72 called for in a medium (adding a row for every 10 rows like in the sweater front). My hindsight solution would be better, but I'm not frogging! Even taking into account adding rows for the Simply Soft, after everyone's comments noting how long the Jacket is and how long the sleeves are I'm starting to feel like a tall, long-armed Amazon woman!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ginny, It's looking wonderful!!! Almost there.....Will you have it done for Easter??? LOL I really do love that color green. Love, Leah

sara said...

it looks wonderful to me!!!!

Norah said...

It looks great, Ginny!!

Anonymous said...

Great job! Green is my favorite color! Hugs, Brenda (who can't remember her identity to log in)