Friday, April 28, 2006

Drops Top Swatch

I sat down last night after putting the kids to bed planning on weaving in ends on the Sweet Pea cardigan and even trying some of the embroidery. Well, panic struck - I couldn't find my hook case anywhere. I usually crochet in the kids rooms just before they go to sleep for a bit while we're saying prayers, having a little chat and/or singing. I carried my bags from room to room last night for a variety of reason but never actually crocheted. So now they're asleep, my dh is at a business dinner and I want to crochet. Instead I'm crawling around their rooms (with only nightlights to guide me) trying to find my hook case - no luck. I remember opening my hookcase in the library yesterday afternoon and can only hope that it's still there... WAH!

So with no needle to embroider the sweater, and only the Addi 4.0mm hook I used for the sweater, I decide to try the swatch for the Drops Summer Top. I figure my gauge will be off (the pattern calls for a 3.0mm), but at least I'll figure out the pattern and my yarn, GGH Bali frogs pretty easily. Within a few minutes I'm thinking "What did I get myself (and my CAL gang) into?" It's a little disconcerting until you get a few rows into the pattern. It didn't help that my dh called and then came home in the midst of the first few rows... this pattern needs full attention in the beginning... and I was so grumpy about my potentially lost hooks, I needed to crochet this swatch. Poor dh tried to be sympathetic about the hooks - although he didn't like my suggestion that he go break into the library and retrieve them (good thing, as we found my hook case this morning - it had rolled under ds's bed). He even commented that he could replace all my hooks for my birthday - men, they just don't understand emotional attachment to things - not that new hooks are a bad thing, but when you're mourning a loss, immediate replacement isn't the answer!
Anyway, I eventually worked my way through this swatch. As expected, I'm a bit off gauge, but I can fix that now that I have my hooks. I have to go discuss the bobble and the tc vs dc issues with Hilary at CAL. The bobble directions were missing YOs... but how many? The original directions say "Pull a loop through the sts (see the chart) and make it approx. 1 cm [3/8"] long, pull another loop through the same sts and make it approx. 1 cm [3/8"] long, pull st though all loops on hook."
Hilary, I believe added 2 YO, so it reads: "Pull a loop through the sts (see the chart) and make it approx. 1 cm [3/8"] long, YO, pull another loop through the same sts and make it approx. 1 cm [3/8"] long, YO, pull st though all loops on hook." It works, but leaves the bobble a bit open & tilted, in my hands.
So I tried this: YO, Pull a loop through the sts (see the chart) and make it approx. 1 cm [3/8"] long, YO, pull another loop through the same sts and make it approx. 1 cm [3/8"] long, YO pull st though all but one loop on hook, YO pull through last 2 loops". This sort of tied up the bobble at the top of the stitch.... I don't know... we'll see!
Now on the dc vs tc thing... I agree the symbol given is for tc, even though they label it dc. But on one end you do this dc or tc and ch 2, on the other end you ch 5. In my hands the side with the tc is taller than the side with the ch5... so either I need to do the dc or I need to ch6.

In the end, it's not so bad, just rough going for a bit until you get the pattern down.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ginny, the swatch looks great!! I honestly had no idea that's what the pattern really looked like. You can't tell from the pic!! Oh, Hubbies just don't get it!! It's like them having to replace their fav golf club or bowling ball or remote contol!!!! They'd get it then, wouldn't they!!
Love, Leah

sara said...

that swatch is beautiful