Friday, April 28, 2006

In search of ribbons & buttons...

I had the kids with me on a button hunt the other day. I needed buttons for my Jiffy Jacket, little girl flower buttons & ribbons for the embroidered flowers for the Sweet Pea Cardigan. For the latter I thought I'd have more luck at Joann's than at my LYS, so that's where we started (mind you it was 11:45am, I hadn't fed them lunch and Joann's was a mob scene due to some sewing machine demo)...

Luckily, it worked out, eventually. After 1 minute in the store we ran out to head next door to TJMaxx - my ds had to go and my dd shared this fact with everyone by yelling "potty emergency" over and over again!. Back in the store I found ribbon on the sale rack and pretty quickly dd & I agreed upon flower buttons for her sweater. Then began the hunt for my buttons. While the kids began playing a matching game with the 5 spinning towers of buttons (one picks 5 packages and then the other one has to go find matches)I spent entirely too much time searching through the choices until 35 minutes later decided on the ones I saw first! Isn't it always this way? Then I had to put away not only my 10 alternate choices but the "matches" they hadn't been able to return. Actually they did a really good job amusing themselves and putting away their buttons. So here's the Jiffy with the buttons (lying on it - I can't find my green thread!). And a close up of the button as well.

Then we headed off to my LYS (don't worry I fed the kids first) to get 2 more skeins of yarn to finish the Sweet Pea Cardigan. I had assumed at first glance that I was doing one of the middle sizes that called for 6 skeins, I bought 7 knowing that Svale had a little less yardage than the recommended yarn. Well, it turns out that I needed to do the largest size and I needed to make some adjustments to make the arms even larger... so 2 more skeins should do it. Luckily the yarn gods were with me and even though my LYS was in the middle of totally reorganizing their yarn bins, the first 2 skeins I pulled out were the right dye lot. Photos & more on this sweater in the next post!)

Well, I had to browse around the store (my LYS has a little toy bin and my kids were happily playing and weren't ready to leave) and I just couldn't leave without this yarn. Isn't it pretty? It's Classic Elite Yarn ~ Flash in 'Pink Tweed' (100% mercerized cotton). I got 6 skeins and I'm hoping it might be enough for a tank top for me (although dd thinks it must be for her, as it's pink)... so now I'm on the hunt for tank top patterns for me....

4 comments:

Norah said...

Ooooh, I love that yarn and the Jiffy cardigan with buttons!!!

Anonymous said...

So wonderful the cardigan is.

sara said...

ginny, you made the largest size for a 4 year old? i hate patterns that give sizes in inches. can you help me with this when i am ready to start? as soon as i finish this poopy ole granny ripple. i am really not having any fun anymore with all these baby blankets.......lol

Ronnie Anderson said...

The cardigan turns out beautifully and I love the pink yarn!