Friday, January 20, 2006

Shaggy & Shabby

I made this bolero/shrug 3 months ago using LB Homespun in Granite. It's modified from pattern #3 in Family Circle Easy Crochet. It's warm, it's comfortable and I got a lot of compliments in October....
The problem is that now it looks worn, shaggy & shabby, especially under the arms where the sleeves rub against the body of the sweater. UGH! I wear it only as a bed jacket when I'm sitting upright reading/crocheting/watching TV. I'm not sure if these latest photos capture the shaggy look....

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Thanks for the heads up! I'll keep away from homespun as a wearable fiber. Sorry your's came out that way but hey, you still have it for around the house. I do love that color tho.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking of doing a sweater using Homespun so thanks for the heads up. Umm...you could wear it and say it was a vintage shaggy pile bolero from the seventies.LOL

Anonymous said...

Just wondering -- is the shaggyness strickly from wearing it? Or was it washed and or dried often?
I have an afghan and poncho that have held up really well, look as good as new. Washed on gentle in a pillowcase, and fluff dried on low. Both are blankety and drapey -- not garment like so no stretching or rubbing -- so that may be what causes the problem?

jeannie said...

LOL, I made one in Homespun, too. I gave it to a 19 yr old who looked gorgeous in it (it was too small for me in the armholes!). I don't know how it's holding up. I want to make another one- but I don't want to use that Pooch "stuff"- too pricey. And I'm already too fluffy!
Your first picture looks great! I think it's just the nature of Homespun to shag up. I'm reluctant to use it for much although I LOVE the colors, and the price.
My new students always show up with HS to learn to crochet or knit. I try to tell them to get something else, but....it usually takes an hour till they're asking for something different.