Wednesday, May 02, 2007

WIP: Vintage Motif Cardi

Vintage Motif cardigan - a CAL at both Yahoo crochet-a-long and Crochetville using KnitPicks Wool of the Andes in Mulled Wine and my Brittany 5.0mm H hook. Progress has picked up, but I haven't had a chance to blog about it. Let's see if I can piece together (ugh, no pun intended) what has happened since my last report.

I posted at Crochetville on April 16th that I had finished making all the squares, and had begun weaving in ends and assembling sections (front panels, back, sleeves) and blocking the sections after assembly. In this photo I had assembled the front two panels - the one on the left was blocked the previous night and was dry. The one on the right was wet, just blocked. Also in the photo are 16 of the 25 panels for the back pinned on my board (where I put them back in February - they were the first 16 squares done) surrounded by the other 9 for the back and the remaining giant pile of squares!!

As of the 18th, I had assembled and blocked the first sleeve, and was beginning to worry that even with a 3rd row of 4 squares, the sleeves are so, so short. On the 2oth the 2nd sleeve was assembled and blocked and I had started weaving in ends of the back panel squares.

As of the 23rd, my concerns grew to include the huge gussets! Here is a photo of the sweater laid out with one sleeve all sewn in. I was thinking about making a smaller gusset, maybe 4 rounds instead of 8.
In the end I sewed the 2nd sleeve in without a gusset and this is where I stand now. I have to remove that first gusset and possibly use these 2 squares towards longer arms - maybe that easing 4 squares to 2 squares as the pattern suggests. I guess I could try that on one arm and see. At this point, I figure I'll do the body edging first and then see how much yarn I have. I'll probably end up just edging cuffs until I run out of yarn...

I was sidetracked from this by the need to pack for my niece's wedding, by my desire to hook instead of sew (hence I started Twyla), by my dd's desire to have a matching shrug for her sundress (for the post wedding brunch).

No comments: